My Guys - You Gotta' Love Um

My Music Mix


Thursday, December 25, 2008

How Small a Whisper

Job 26:14 (English Standard Version)
"Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?"

I have been studying The Attributes of God by Arthur W. Pink and my impatient mind tries me sometimes. As much as I want to know God, I am constantly rushing to the next phrase or sentence before I have captured the essence of what is being said in the one I just read. Laura Morgan is always decrying the fact that her ability to read through a book quickly while I long for the depth that she acquires in her reading. I have been making a conscious effort to slow down and study, especially this topic. I believe I have traveled to far from the focus of knowing God in my studies.

In light of this, I am re-reading and really studying and making notes on the first chapter entitled The Solitariness of God. The entire study is awesome in the strictest sense of the word, but the verse I quoted above is written in such a way as to make me want more. Think about it! It is so visual . . .

glitter-graphics.com

"these are but the outskirts of his ways"
I am traveling to a destination that I have planned to visit and I become excited even upon reaching the outskirts of the city. The view of the skyline is breathtaking, but I still have little idea what the city is like.

"how small a whisper do we hear of him!"
When you hear a whisper don't you just ache to know more?

"But the thunder of his power who can understand?"
But - what a excluding word! We are not like God. We cannot understand all of his ways. His ways are far above our own. This knowledge is like thunder compared to the whisper we hear. No wonder Moses' hair went white. Last night as I simply contemplated how God knows all things and has planned all things, my mind was frazzled. Then I tried to ponder how God could possibly put all his plans together at once . . . I was filled with awe, but totally clueless as to how this could possibly be.

In spite of this dumbstruck state, I am anxious to know more . . . And Laura, I hope I will have enough discipline to start a copybook (like my boys, I hate the physical process of writing).

1 comment:

Laura said...

Your insights always amaze me, Jennifer. You glean more from the books than I think you realize. And I'm glad you share it.

As for the copybook, there's something to be said for the actual copying of it -- the slow, careful process allows some chewing on the words. But if it's a hindrance to you, type them into a document (hmm, or better yet, an online copybook blog) -- then at least you'll have all the important quotes and passages you want to keep and refer back to in one place. (Just might have to go with that online idea myself, too!)